Isko Moreno rolls out updated 10-year solid waste plan centered on waste reduction, segregation

Manila City Mayor Francisco “Isko” Moreno Domagoso on Monday, February 16, formally unveiled the city’s updated 10-year Solid Waste Management Plan, outlining a long-term strategy focused on waste reduction and source segregation programs to address mounting garbage challenges in the capital. Speaking during the flag-raising ceremony at Manila City Hall, Domagoso emphasized that maintaining cleanliness remains a basic responsibility of the local…

New businesses in Manila surge 106% as renewals post steady annual growth

New business registrations in Manila surged by 106.48 percent year-on-year as of February 15, 2026, more than doubling last year’s figure, according to a report presented by Bureau of Permits Director Levi Facundo to Mayor Francisco “Isko” Moreno Domagoso during the city government’s directional meeting on Monday morning, February 16. Data showed that processed new business permits reached 1,243 this year, up…

Lacson says stance on ICC warrants defends Constitution, not fellow senators

Senate President Pro Tempore Panfilo “Ping” Lacson on Monday, February 16, said his position on possible arrest warrants from the International Criminal Court (ICC) is meant to uphold constitutional safeguards, not to shield Senators Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa and Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go. Lacson issued the clarification amid criticism over his view that any ICC warrant must pass through Philippine courts before…

How DepEd’s expanded ₱25.7-billion feeding program will work in 2026

The Department of Education (DepEd) will roll out a significantly expanded School-Based Feeding Program in 2026, backed by a ₱25.7-billion allocation aimed at tackling malnutrition, improving attendance, and supporting vulnerable learners nationwide. In an interview on DZRH News program Special on Saturday, Education Assistant Secretary Roger Masapol said the increase—from ₱11.7 billion in 2025—reflects a policy shift that prioritizes early nutrition coverage.…

EDITORIAL: The abuse of class suspensions has gone too far

When did we become a country so quick to suspend classes at the faintest hint of inconvenience? Local officials today seem to wield the power to cancel school like a social media stunt, a button pressed for applause, hearts, and fleeting praise from students who will forget about it by the next viral meme. No leader wins respect by gambling with education.…

Malacañang under fire as fallout grows over removal of career DOH officials

With the perceived ouster of career health officials, Malacañang now stands accused of putting institutional stability and expert leadership at risk for political convenience. The uproar follows the exit of Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Singh-Vergeire and other veteran DOH officials in what appears to be a politically motivated shake-up. About 55 professional medical groups signed a joint statement expressing concerns of what…

SPECIAL REPORT: Laguna Lake on the verge of becoming the Philippines’ largest septic tank

The Laguna Lake is fast deteriorating into the country’s “biggest septic tank,” Biñan City Rep. Walfredo “Arman” Dimaguila Jr. warned on Saturday, August 2. In an interview on DZRH News’ Special on Saturday, Rep. Dimaguila urged the Marcos Jr. administration to take urgent and science-based action to rehabilitate the vital water body affecting millions across Southern Luzon and Metro Manila. “Magkakaroon na…

The Situation Report © 2025. All rights reserved.